Here is some good safety precautions when meeting someone for the first time:
- Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe, bank, or shopping center.
- Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
- Be especially careful buying/selling high value items.
- Tell a friend or family member where you’re going.
- Take your cell phone along if you have one.
- Consider having a friend accompany you.
- Trust your instincts.
*Deal locally, face-to-face*
- Do not extend payment to anyone you have not met in person.
- Beware offers involving shipping – deal with locals you can meet in person.
- Never wire funds (e.g. Western Union)
- Don’t accept cashier/certified checks or money orders
- Never give out financial info (bank account, social security, paypal account, etc).
- Refuse background/credit checks until you have met landlord/employer in person.